Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Is No Place Sacred?

The day started off so well ...

Sadie started the day off by actually finishing her breakfast (she only manages to eat her entire portion 50% of the time) so we were really happy. Getting her to eat is sometimes a challenge and it is always a relief when she eats all of the meal (rather than only eating a few pieces.)

I took Sadie to the vet in the morning so she could get her shots. She seemed ok going to the vet. Coco, on the other hand, was shaking like crazy. I had Coco in a bag and the entire bag trembled the entire time we were at the vet. I wonder how dogs know that they are at the vet even though they've never been to that particular facility before. Sadie was exploring the area and didn't make a fuss when I left her in the hands of the technicians.

After work I picked Sadie up from the vet and she was extremely excited to see me. Her tail was wagging at a 100 mph and she was genuinely happy and excited. Again, Coco was trembling the entire time we were at the vet.

I took the two pups home and they simultaneously went poop outside. I was so happy since it is usually a chore to get Sadie to poop and she takes a long time before she's ready to poop. Perhaps a trip to the vet changed Sadie completely and made her bowel movements happen more quickly? ...

I then waited an hour before feeding both Coco and Sadie. Afterwards Sadie was left in the pen. The pen is where Sadie plays and enjoys freedom. In dog-speak it should be a safe haven. Similar to a den, the pen is where Sadie should consider her home. As such, Sadie should not defile it. Dogs have a strong understanding of dens and home and know not to poop or pee in it (which is the whole idea behind crate training.) Well apparently no place is sacred. An hour after Sadie pooped outside she proceeded to poop in the pen. O.o It's difficult to get Sadie to poop at all; pooping twice is unheard of. It puts me at a total loss since dogs aren't supposed to poop or pee in their home, yet Sadie has defied the odds. This is poop #3 for Sadie on our carpet (twice in the living room and once in the pen.) *sigh* I hope we come up with some fool proof method to ensure Sadie really has emptied herself and we find some place where Sadie is considered safe.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is really inevitable for your carpet being dirtied by dog poop, even if the dog is disciplined/trained. As a dog owner who experienced numerous incident of dog poo on the carpet, I just had to take the hit and call for my trusted guys who does carpet cleaning (Portland, Oregon located cleaners) to get rid of the unmanageable dirt.

With the carpet dilemma fixed by the people who does my carpet cleaning (Salem-based cleaners), I can't help but relax and unwind everytime that the problem is solved.